Divest Strathclyde is the campaign to get the Strathclyde Pension Fund to drop their £836 million investments in fossil fuel companies, and reinvest the money in ethical and sustainable alternatives.
There are loads of things you can do to help us achieve fossil fuel divestment in 2022, here are a few ideas:
Join the group!
We always welcome new members and there’s room for everyone to contribute, even if you only have a little time to spare. Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and come along to one of our meetings!
Contact your councillors
Email your local elected councillors and ask them to support the campaign. We have written a template email which you can tailor and send to your local councillors. You can find contact details for your councillors by using this website or on your local authority website:
- Argyll & Bute
- East Ayrshire
- East Dunbartonshire
- East Renfrewshire
- Glasgow City
- North Ayrshire
- North Lanarkshire
- South Ayrshire
- South Lanarkshire
- West Dunbartonshire
Tweet at the councillors
Send a tweet to the councillors on the pension fund committee and let them know you support divestment. Most of them have professional accounts as councillors and their interactions through social media shape their perception of what is most urgent, so politely letting them know that you support the campaign is a great way to make a quick difference.
Here’s a list of the committee members currently on Twitter:
- Richard Bell (Convener): https://twitter.com/Bell45
- Martha Wardrop (Vice-convener): https://twitter.com/MarthaWardrop
- Abdul Bostani: https://twitter.com/AbdulBostani2
- Allan Gow: https://twitter.com/GoforGow
- Dan Hutchison: https://twitter.com/danhutchison_
- Ruairi Kelly: https://twitter.com/RuairiKelly_
- Eva Murray: https://twitter.com/EvaCMurray
You can also tag:
Here are some example tweets you can send:
- Over a year since @glasgowCC voted to divest the £836m #FossilFuel investments in the #StrathclydePensionFund and is this all we have to show for it? We need urgent action now to plan for full fossil fuel divestment #DivestStrathclyde
- For too long #StrathclydePensionFund has been investing millions in companies like #BP & #Shell with poor human rights records & a history of obstructing climate action. We need a decisive commitment to #DivestNow
- #StrathclydePensionFund still invests £836 million in #FossilFuel companies which are fuelling climate breakdown and threaten global health and security. The latest IPCC report is unequivocal, we need to get out of fossil fuels now! #DivestStrathclyde
Speak to your employer
You can check the Strathclyde Pension Fund annual report (pages 139-141) to find out if your employer uses them. If so, why not speak to them about it and encourage them to raise fossil fuel divestment as an issue with the fund directly. You can get in touch with us at email@example.com for help and support.
Follow us on social media