Divest Strathclyde is the campaign to get the Strathclyde Pension Fund to drop their £836 million investments in fossil fuel companies, and reinvest the money in ethical and sustainable alternatives.
There are loads of things you can do to help us achieve fossil fuel divestment in 2022, here are a few ideas:
Get involved in the local elections
In the upcoming local elections we will be electing our new councillors. Now is a great opportunity to influence policies which will be in place for the next few years so it’s vital that we engage with the candidates in the run-up to the vote.
You can contact your local candidates and ask them to pledge to support divestment if elected. You can find details of candidates in your area on whocanivotefor.co.uk
Here are some template questions you can ask them, in person (for example at a local hustings event), via email, or on social media.
- Do you pledge to support the Strathclyde Pension Fund divesting from fossil fuels and investing in a just transition to a zero carbon economy over an appropriate time-scale?
- If elected, will you bring a motion to council that supports a policy of fossil fuel divestment for the Strathclyde Pension Fund?
- Some councils [Argyll and Bute / City of Glasgow / Renfrewshire / North Lanarkshire / West Dunbartonshire] have already taken the positive step of voting to support the Strathclyde Pension Fund divesting from fossil fuels. If elected, will you contact the Strathclyde Pension Fund committee asking them to strengthen the strategy so that it includes full divestment from fossil fuels, as voted for by [Argyll and Bute / City of Glasgow / Renfrewshire / North Lanarkshire / West Dunbartonshire] council?
Contact your councillor
Email your elected councillor and ask them to support the campaign. You can contact them easily using the Friends of the Earth Scotland e-action tool. We have also written a template email which you can tailor and send to your local councillors. You can find contact details for your councillors on your local authority website:
- Argyll & Bute
- East Ayrshire
- East Dunbartonshire
- East Renfrewshire
- Glasgow City
- North Ayrshire
- North Lanarkshire
- South Ayrshire
- South Lanarkshire
- West Dunbartonshire
Tweet at the councillors
Send a tweet to the councillors on the pension fund committee and let them know you support divestment. Many of them have professional accounts as councillors and their interactions through social media shape their perception of what is most urgent, so politely letting them know that you support the campaign is a great way to make a quick difference.
Here’s a list of the committee members currently on Twitter:
- Richard Bell: https://twitter.com/Bell45
- Ruairi Kelly: https://twitter.com/RuairiKelly_
- David Meikle: https://twitter.com/cllrdmeikle
- Martha Wardrop: https://twitter.com/MarthaWardrop
- Graham Campbell: https://twitter.com/CllrGrahamC
You can also tag:
Here are some example tweets you can send:
- Almost a year since @glasgowCC voted to divest the £836m #FossilFuel investments in the #StrathclydePensionFund and is this all we have to show for it? The new climate strategy is greenwash not climate leadership #DivestStrathclyde
- For too long, #StrathclydePensionFund has been investing millions in companies like #BP & #Shell with poor human rights records & a history of obstructing climate action. We need a decisive commitment to #DivestNow
- #StrathclydePensionFund still invests £836 million in #FossilFuel companies which are fuelling climate breakdown and threaten global health and security. The latest IPCC report is unequivocal, we need to get out of fossil fuels now! #DivestStrathclyde
Speak to your employer
You can check the Strathclyde Pension Fund annual report to find out if your employer uses them. If so, why not speak to them about it and encourage them to raise fossil fuel divestment as an issue with the fund directly.
Join the group!
We always welcome new members and there’s room for everyone to contribute, even if you only have a little time to spare. Get in touch with us at email@example.com and come along to one of our meetings!
Follow us on social media